Important chemical properties in soil for plant health and nutrition. Students learn about the nitrogen and carbon cycles. They also learn about soil microbial activity and which organisms are behind which chemical breakdowns. Students build an understanding of soil qualities and how to manage different soils.
- Guided tour of the Emirates Soil Museum.
- Identify the properties of your soil through a series of tests:
- pH test
- Color categorization
- Soil texture
- Soil salinity
- Soil nutrients (NPK tests)
- Select the plants that would be best suited for your plot and how you would best manage your farm.
- Present your farm designs to the class.
- Create your own painting using soil and take it home!
- Soil erosion
- Soil pollution
- Soil salinization
- Soil pH
- Soil nutrients
- Effect of soil quality on biodiversity
- Carbon cycle
- Nitrogen Cycle
- Design and management of land
- Plant varieties
- Plant requirements
- Management of natural resources