The Halophytic Kitchen Lab program aims to raise public awareness about the benefits of halophytic (salt-loving) plants cultivated in desert environments as well as healthy cooking and nutrition through the preparation of halophyte-based recipes. The program is run under the project funded by the EXPO LIVE program entitled “From desert farm to fork: value chain development for innovative halophyte-based food products”. Salicornia and other halophytic crops are cultivated in selected UAE farms applying intermediate upscaling methodologies. Their produce is then transformed into innovative halophytic products marketed locally.
- Presentation on food security challenges and the importance of halophytic food products to fill the gap by Halophytic Scientist.
- Tour of ICBA field to see the plants discussed!
- Presentation by our nutritionist Yasmin Haddad on the nutritional benefits of these food items along with tips on healthy and sustainable food choices.
- Cook and eat your own meal using halophytic plants with Chef Bilal Hassan!
- Food and nutrition security
- Climate-smart and nutrient-dense saline farming
- Salinization issues
- Marginal environments
- Halophytic and salt tolerant plants
- Health and Nutrition
- Art of Cooking